Saturday, January 10, 2009

We Make Clients Sicker

I'm starting this website because I'm bursting at the seams. I want to say these things out loud to a non-biased audience to see if things are really as bad as they seem to be.

I work in a long-term residential inpatient treatment center for substance abusers. Almost every client is mandated to stay there by a judge. It is a 4 month treatment stay. There are 35-40 beds.Many of the counselors treat the clients however they please. The clients are treated like inmate children.

There is no clinical supervision on the entire unit.

We make clients sicker.

I'm writing because I am unable to change things. My name is not Josh Rux. I'm changing names and details as I write.
If I'm an idealist it's because I think the clients need help and shouldn't be treated like criminals.
I am trying to make a difference, and it might get me fired. I work part-time as a counselor's assistant on the unit. This makes me the only one with nothing to lose.

I'm going to write about the things I see and the people who work there.

If I figure out how to let you, please tell me what you think, what you would do, what I should do, anything.

I'm tired of being quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment